Help booting diskless Suns over Ethernet bridge

kevin.hennessy kfh at cbnews.att.com
Mon Jan 16 13:00:47 AEST 1989

I am looking for information relative to booting across an Ethernet
Bridge.  The desired configuration is as follows:

  - There are four 4/260s (clients) and one 4/280 (server).
  - The 4/260s are at site A, which is 10km away from the 4/280 at site B.
  - The 4/260s are diskless and disks cannot be installed at site A.
  - They are all on the same (logical) Ethernet.
  - The two (physical) Ethernet cable segments will be connect by an
    Ethernet Bridge using T1 links between site A and site B.
  - Depending on the number of T1 links used, the Bridge will have a maximum
    throughput of 1.5 to 6 Mbps, which is less than the 10Mbps of the Ethernet.

The problem I am having is determining if this will work?

Various people I have talked to (bridge vendors, users, etc.) say it
should work.  Sun will not say officially that it will or will not work,
but they don't recommended it and don't seem to support it.

Has any one done something like this before?   Is there a reason that it
should/will not work?

Any other ideas on how to connect the two sites?

Thanks in advance.