OS 4.0, YP, and named

Jon J. Brewster jjb at zeus.cs.wayne.edu
Thu Jan 26 18:51:29 AEST 1989

In v7n111, sysrick at cfht.cfht.hawaii.edu writes:
>nameserver as per the Sun instructions and have restarted ypserv as ypserv
>-i.  I have also create /etc/resolve.conf with our internet domain in it
>and the internet address of the name server (our internet and YP domains
>differ)

Ypserv -i is not supported under V4.0.  And, the manual does not imply
that it will talk to named.  There is a different ypserv, distributed with
the nameserver kit which does talk to named.  There is no way I know of to
make the ypserv which was distributed with 4.0 work with named.  You
simply install the other ypserv.

>Tests using nslookup are fine except that nslookup starts up thinking our
>internet domain == YP domain.

This is what our system does:
ares# /bin/domainname
foo
ares# cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 35.194.242.2
domain frobazzle
ares# nslookup
Default Server:  ZEUS.cs.wayne.edu
Address:  35.194.242.2

> set all
Address:  35.194.242.2

Set options:
  nodebug         defname         search          recurse         novc
  querytype=A     class=IN        timeout=6       retry=4
  domain=frobazzle
  search list: frobazzle
  root=sri-nic.arpa

Note that the domain is the one listed in /etc/resolv.conf, not the one
returned by /bin/domainname.  (Which is what ypserv uses).