damaged /usr partition

E. Scott Menter slcpi!poseidon!escott at uunet.uu.net
Sat Jan 14 10:06:38 AEST 1989

> This has got to be the thing I dislike most about 4.0. In order for your
> system to boot, it is now totally dependent on two partitions instead of
> one, so there are two crucial points of filesystem failure (three if you
> count swap). Yuck.

Well, this has been said before, but the point is that /usr should be
mounted read-only under 4.x.  As a result, you should more or less never
have a trashed /usr partition.  And, I find it a nice thing to have under
single user (never did like editing system files with "ed" 8^).

Scott Menter
Sr. Network Administrator
Shearson Lehman Hutton
escott at shearson.com