A inexpensive (edu discount) or free SunView Troff previewer

Kristian Simsarian phri!sim at philabs.philips.com
Thu Jan 5 05:34:03 AEST 1989

I have seen many systems for NeWS and X to display either the output from
troff or postcript code, but is there anything good out there to put
formatted documents on the screen in a suntools environment??  It is truly
overwhelming how much paper we go through just to check out how it looks.

There is a company called Elan that sells a souped up troff called Eroff
with a previewer for $1795 per server and $1795 for each 5 workstations.
That is not the route I want to go, as we may someday spend some money to
get desktop publishing software.  Thank you very much in advance.

[[ There is something called "suntroff" that people around here seem to be
happy with.  It was written by Malcolm Slaney at Schlumberger Palo Alto
Research (SPAR), based on code written by David Slattengren (Berkeley) and
Rich Hyde (Purdue).  It is freely redistributable, but I don't know where
it is available.  Maybe if you drop Malcolm a line at
"malcolm at spar.slb.com" he might tell you.  --wnl ]]

--
Kristian T. Simsarian
Public Health Research Institute, NYC		(212)  578-0875
{allegra,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers}!phri!sim -or- phri!sim at uunet.uu.net
xxxsim at asparagine.phri.nyu.eduxxx (not on reliable yet)