additional thoughts on dumping while up multi-user

Paul Gill paul at concour.cs.concordia.ca
Tue Jan 3 15:37:14 AEST 1989

sklower at okeeffe.berkeley.edu (Keith Sklower) writes:
>As has been noted on sun-spots previously, when one dumps an active file
>system, one runs (a somewhat low, but non-neglible) risk of various
>nasties happening and causing some inconsistencies in the dump tape.
>
> [rest of article deleted]

I would like to have more details on the sort of nasties one risks when
doing dumps on active file system.

I have been doing all dumps (except level 0) on Sun OS3.5 and Vax BSD4.3
without shutting down the systems.  I never had any problem restoring but
maybe I was very lucky over the last 2 years.

Thank
---
Paul Gill  Analyst,  Concordia University, Computer Science,
1455 De Maisonneuve Ouest, Montreal, Quebec, Canada  H3G 1M8
(514)-848-3035