Sharing /tmp through NFS

Anthony A. Datri aad at stpstn.uucp
Thu Jan 19 00:48:55 AEST 1989

weltyc at fs3.cs.rpi.edu (Christopher A. Welty) writes:
>I wonder if anyone has tried using one NFS-mounted /tmp directory for a
>group of machines.  I forsee possible problems with temp files names that
>have the same name, it would seem like a trivial thing to check for - but
>does sunos do it....

Beware the things in the rc scripts that do things with /tmp.  rc normally
removes everything in /tmp, so you may want to make a seperate directory
within the parent for each client, and mount the appropriate subdirectory
as /tmp on the client.  This lets you pool the disk space without having
to worry about conflicts.  If you have users who use vi, you also want to
consider the ex3.7preserve that rc runs.  Lastly, you might want to
consider the working file that rc.local creates when it munges the motd
file, but I don't think that'll be affected by redirecting /tmp.  As I see
it, you'll want to move the cleanout of /tmp from rc to after the mount,
as well as the ex3.7preserve if it's an issue with you.

Anthony A. Datri @SysAdmin(Stepstone Corporation) aad at stepstone.com stpstn!aad