What is the 'real' tape length

David J. Camp david at wubios.wustl.edu
Thu Jan 5 17:14:16 AEST 1989

Spots,

A while ago I inquired on sun-spots about the real vs. apparent length of
a tape.  What I had noticed is that the length written on the tape's label
(600') was less that expected by dump.  I got several good answers, and
this is a summary.

The length of tape expected by dump is the real length of the tape times
the number of tracks minus some factor for inter-record gaps.  If you use
/dev/rst8 you get 9 tracks, but if you use /dev/rst0 you get only 4
tracks.

-David-

Bitnet:   david at wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios at wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics
uucp:     uunet!wucs1!wubios!david          v      660 South Euclid
Washington University Medical School               Saint Louis, MO 63110