problems with Xylogics 451/CDC Sabre 850

Douglas M. Bates bates at stat.stat.wisc.edu
Sat Jan 14 04:43:56 AEST 1989

In v7n82, <SYSRUTH at UTORPHYS.BITNET> (Ruth Milner) mentioned hearing from
another vendor that the Xylogics 451 controller was not capable of
handling the Sabre 850 or Sabre 1230 disks from CDC.

Later Glenn Adams said MIT had been running Sabre 850's off the Xylogics
451 without any problems.

We have the Xylogics 451 and a Sabre 1230 and we haven't been able to
format it.  We have been able to read the bad block table so it appears
that the controller and disk are conversing properly but we cannot get
format to work for this disk under SunOS 4.0.  (We also tried the new
"format" program on the 4.0.1 patch tape.)  If anyone has succeeded in
formatting a Sabre 1230 for that controller under SunOS 4.0, we would
really appreciate e-mail regarding the settings that you used.