Rasterfile Format questions

Tim Pointing mnetor!dciemzorac!dretor.dciem.dnd.ca!tim at uunet.uu.net
Fri Jan 13 19:11:45 AEST 1989

In issue v7n85, tale at pawl.rpi.edu writes:
>In Digest 7.69, mephdbo%prism at gatech.edu (d. majumder) wrote:
>>The screenload command fails to read [RT_BYTE_ENCODED format files] most
>>of the time. Is there some routine to convert the BYTE_ENCODED rasters to
>>STANDARD form or am I doing something wrong.

I have found that screenload will fail to load RT_BYTE_ENCODED format
files from time to time (although this *should* not be the case.) I have
been able to get around the problem by using
"/usr/lib/rasfilters/convert.2" to convert it to RT_STANDARD format which
screenload never seems to have trouble with.

>I don't know if touch-up can cope with [RT_BYTE_ENCODING]; I haven't checked
>and can't until I'm ear a sun.  I suspect it might not be able to since an
>option to save it RT_BYTE_ENCODED does not exist in that programme.

My copy of touchup (version 2.3) does indeed have an option for saving in
either "standard format" or "byte encoded".

>>2)  Does anyone know if there exists any utility to convert the CompuServe
>>GIF format to SUN rasterfile format (color/mono).
>There is one in development here and I suspect that when it is completed
>it will be announced in Sun-Spots and made available via anonymous ftp.
>If one already exists out there, our developers would be happy to hear
>about it.

As somebody already mentioned, there is one (gif2ras) available. It was
converted from a Turbo Pascal program in comp.graphics by Patrick J.
Naughton <naughton at wind.sun.com>. There might be a bug or 2 left in it as
it dumped core on a few of the images I have and created rasterfiles which
didn't screenload properly (looked like the horzontal hold was off!).
These may, however, be due to faulty GIF files and buggy screenload
respectively. Alas, I can't remember where I picked gif2ras up from.  It
may have been in comp.sources.unix or it may be in the sun-sources
archives at titan.rice.edu.

Tim Pointing, DCIEM
tim@{zorac,dretor.ben}.dciem.dnd.ca
--
	Tim Pointing, DCIEM
	{decvax|ihnp4|watmath}!utzoo!dciem!ben!tim