How should I put a 386i standalone onto my net?

Jeff Gortatowsky aurora!jdg at ames.arc.nasa.gov
Wed Jan 25 14:52:28 AEST 1989

In the past, things were easy.  A user would come to me and say, "could I
get my standalone Sun 2/3 put on the net?".  I'd get/provide an address,
from the master machine, configure the user's machine, get that person a
network drop, and fix the user's boot sequence to 'ifconfig' the machine.
POOF.  They were on the network.  Up until now we've only had Sun 2's and
Sun 3's on our network.  Our YP master is a Sun 3/280.

Now we have one 386i that has been running as a Standalone (as defined by
the SNAP Administrator's manual, meaning it has no connection to a
network).  It has become neccessary to put that machine on the net.  Fine.
I read the SNAP manual.  Problem: None of the six types of machines
described (Standalone, Master Server, Slave Server, Diskless Client,
Network Client, Diskfull Client) seem to describe what I want to do.

All I want to do is the equivlent of what the first paragraph descibes.
Put a 386i on my net which can, boot itself, and coexist with the YP
master (a 3/280).  Can I 'just' ifconfig the machine?  Do I have to make
it a YP Slave?  The manual states that to do that I MUST have another 386i
that is a YP master.  It's the only 386i I have and I CAN NOT make it the
master.  Is a 386i's YP domain different from a SUN 2/3/4?  You get the
idea.  Where is the section of the manual that says, "If you want to put a
386i onto an existing hetrogeneous network Sun workstations, do...."?

Email please.  Thank you.

Jeff Gortatowsky-Eastman Kodak Company  .....rochester!kodak!elmgate!jdg
(use uuhosts or such to find path to rochester)
Eastman Kodak makes film not comments.  Therefore these comments are mine
not theirs.