How to discover screen depth

Alexander Dupuy dupuy at douglass.cs.columbia.edu
Thu Jan 12 17:47:05 AEST 1989

>>>  Is there an easy way to find out the screen depth?
>
>I use the following simple program, which I call displaytype.  It works
>like this:...

Here's an updated version of my screen(1) program for Suns which does all
this and so much more (I took some ideas from the emulation(1) program
posted to sun-spots some time ago).  The names for the various color
displays are somewhat confusing: a CG3 is not the same as a cgthree (the
latter on 386i's).  I have used the names from the October Sun STB article
on color boards.

 sun% screen -v
 /dev/fb is on
 sun% screen type
 is a 1152 x 900 x 1 Monochrome 2 (BW2) display
 emulated by a 1152 x 900 x 10 (256 color) Color Graphics 4 (CG4) display
 sun% screen cgtwo

@alex

inet: dupuy at columbia.edu
uucp: ...!rutgers!columbia!dupuy

[[ It has replaced the old version in the archives.  It is under
"sun-source" and is called "screen.shar".  It is 8686 bytes long.  It can
be retrieved via anonymous FTP from the host "titan.rice.edu" or via the
archive server.  For more information about the archive server, send a
mail message containing the word "help" to the address
"archive-server at rice.edu".  --wnl ]]