Help! Printing from Mac to a LaserWriter connected to a Sun

Ralph P. Sobek ralph at laas.laas.fr
Wed Jan 18 10:04:24 AEST 1989

dre at cs.umn.edu (Douglas R. East) writes:
> Printing from any Sun on the network works just fine, but print jobs from
> the Mac's get flushed.  The Mac's can "see" the LaserWriter from the
> Chooser just fine, and the print job gets over to the Sun, but it appears
> that an improper dictionary is loaded since the PostScript procedure "md"
> cannot be found.  The log messages are:
>
> 	%%[ Error: undefined; OffendingCommand: md ]%%

You forgot to include the Mac's initilization file (LaserPrep) for the
LaserWriter!  `md' stands for Apple's Mac dictionary.

The way to go about it is to download LaserPrep.ps (it's PostScript) by
doing Command-K to save a file with it's LaserPrep file.  The LaserPrep
file should be downloaded seperately since it has to be modified,
slightly.  Here's the beginning of my LaserPrep file, nothing else was
modified:

%!
%%Title: "Laser Prep -- The Apple PostScript Dictionary (md)"
%%Creator: Apple Software Engineering
%%CreationDate: Thursday, March 19, 1987
%{appledict version #67 0
% ) CopyRight Apple Computer, Inc. 1984,1985,1986,1987 All Rights Reserved.
%%EndComments
%%BeginProcSet: "(AppleDict md)" 67 0
% userdict /md known {stop} if
% serverdict begin 0000 exitserver
% statusdict begin waittimeout 300 lt {0 60 300 setdefaulttimeouts} if end
( Starting load of Mac LaserPrep.ps ) print	% Inserted for debug purposes
currentfile statusdict begin serverdict begin product (LaserWriter II NT) eq
revision 1 eq and {/setrealdevice {//setrealdevice exec 31 sendpcmd 4 eq
tonerlight} bind def

To download Mac files you should use the Command-F key.  On the Sun a
small shell script is necessary:

	cat LaserPrep.ps $* | lpr -PPostScript

This works for us.  We've tried it with MacDraw, MacPaint, and MacWrite
documents.  Maybe you have the necessary to automate this procedure some
more.

Good luck!
--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph at laas.laas.fr			   Addresses are ordered by importance.