PC-NFS Print Server and MS Word PostScript Problem

Jason Heirtzler jdh at bu-it.bu.edu
Wed Jan 25 12:31:44 AEST 1989

I installed about 30 PCs with a mix of PC-NFS 2.0 and 3.0 about a year ago
or so. These PCs use TI2115 printers hooked up off a Sun-3/280 with SunOS
3.4

My experience was that printing from MS Word is incompatible with PC-NFS.
The problem was caused because MS Word wants to download some PostScript
macro-like definitions and wants to use them when you send your job. The
definition file is supplied in your MS Word diskettes. I can't remember
the name of the file at the moment, though.

This is all from memory, but I think we kludged the printing by
redirecting MS Word output to a file, and prepending the definitions, then
sending it to the printer (via net print)

In the PostScript definition file you have to remove the line that says
something like "if known msdict stop" and remove a ^D which lurks near the
end.

---Jason Heirtzler
   jdh at bu-it.bu.edu

PS. I think they document the incompatibility in the "READ ME FIRST"
    in 3.0; too bad it wasn't documented in 2.0, when we bought it.