some random concerns

Chris Jepeway jepeway at rastaban.cs.utk.edu
Wed Jan 4 05:22:22 AEST 1989

consult at osiris.UUCP (Unix Consultation Mailbox (Phil)) writes:
		[Re: Sun 3 keyboards]
>   ...the keyboard seemed to gag all of a sudden,
>   emitting a very rapid succession of clicks and sending either nothing or a
>   few completely impossible (as in "located nowhere near where my fingers
>   were") characters.

On 3/60's running 3.5, I've heard the keyboard emit keyclicks when I've
been wailing away on it.  I haven't seen it lose keystrokes, though the
damn keyboard on the Sun 4 running 4.0 *does* lose characters and beeps
most annoyingly when it cannot keep up with typeahead in
just-plain-console mode (I mean when it's not running a window system).

[[ I've had it lose a few keystrokes on me.  Not very often, tho.  --wnl ]]

>   Half the time I can't even manage to get caps *un*locked with either F1 or
>   Caps!!

When running X11R2/3 on a 3/60 running 3.5, the CAPS key gets stuck quite
frequently.  A disaster if you're editting and haven't saved modified
files when this happens.  I don't know what to do other than kill the X
that's running and start up another one.  Since you're running suntools, I
guess this is a problem with the keyboard/driver, instead of with X.  Has
anybody got a fix for it?  Or some way, at least, to force the caps lock
key to let go when it's stuck?

>   Phil Kos                                       uunet!pyrdc!osiris!phil

C. Jepeway
jepeway at utkcs2.cs.utk.edu