ftp logging (patch to in.ftpd in archives)

Tait Cyrus cyrus at pprg.unm.edu
Mon Jan 16 07:59:16 AEST 1989

koreth at ssyx.ucsc.edu (Steven Grimm) writes:
>We run an anonymous FTP service on ssyx.ucsc.edu, and we like to know
>which files are being transfered and by whom.  To keep track of this
>information, I have made the following additions to the in.ftpd source

Looking at these patches, I can't see how they work for anonymous ftp
(they appear to work for regular users).  The only way I can see these
patches working with anonymous ftp is iff the anonymous ftp directory is
/.  The reason I make this statement is because the log file is opened
before the chroot.  After the chroot, you can no longer access the file.
I wanted to do the same thing (with the BSD 4.3 src posted a while back)
and ran into this problem under SunOS 4.0 on my Sun 3/160.  The way I
solved this problem was to open the log file AFTER the chroot, though I
don't log what "regular" users do.

If I am overlooking something, I would appreciate someone telling me
because my "method" is a real hack, though it gets the job done very well.

W. Tait Cyrus   (505) 277-0806		e-mail: cyrus at pprg.unm.edu
University of New Mexico
Dept of ECE - Parallel Processing Research Group
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131

[[ I want to provide an explanation here, but it would probably just be
wrong.  --wnl ]]