Rasterfile format questions

Juergen Wagner gandalf at csli.stanford.edu
Wed Jan 4 06:02:40 AEST 1989

ad 1: There are a some conversion utilities called convert.0 and convert.2.
      They come with the Sun distribution and are somewhere like
      /usr/local/rasters or /usr/lib/rasfilters... I forgot. However, if
      screenload fails, this might also happen with those converters.

[[ Hey wow.  Sure enough, they're in /usr/lib/rasfilters.  In our release
there's even source for convert.2.  The standard distribution doesn't have
a /usr/local (or if it does, it's empty).  --wnl ]]

ad 2: GIF can be converted to Sun rasterfiles with the GIF2RAS program by
      Patrick Naughton at Sun (I hope I remember the name right). A simple
      version of the program is in Jef Poskanzer's PBM package. You could also
      use `bmx', a bitmap conversion package I have written, and which allows
      you to convert any of the 18 input formats to Sun rasterfiles (and
      others).

Juergen Wagner		   			gandalf at csli.stanford.edu
						 wagner at arisia.xerox.com