Apple Laserwriter the same as Sun Laserwriter

Roy Smith phri!roy at uunet.uu.net
Sat Jan 7 16:40:18 AEST 1989

pyramid.com!leadsv!hart at cs.utexas.edu (Howard Hart) writes:
> will Transcript work with [a generic Apple LaserWriter], or does Transcript
> search for some Sun Laserwriter proprietary prom or set of fonts first.

To the best of my knowledge, a Sun LaserWriter is just the Apple product
with a new logo slapped on the side.  We have 4 Apple LaserWriters
(actually, one of them is a LW-Plus).  Over the years, we've had them
hooked up on serial lines using Transcript's pscomm driver and on
Appletalk using CAP's papif driver talking through a kbox.  We have driven
them with both a 4.3BSD Vax and SunOS-3.X suns.  I havn't seen any
problems at all with any of the various configurations.

Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute
{allegra,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers}!phri!roy -or- phri!roy at uunet.uu.net