CDC Wren IV (94171-344) on a Sun 3/260?

peter jensen rayssd!jarsun1!jensen at a.cs.uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 11 20:47:14 AEST 1989

I am trying to install a CDC Wren IV (344MB version) on our 3/260 which is
running 3.5.  I've successfully installed the 300MB version of the Wren IV
on the same machine using the parameters:

	data cylinders: 1805
	alternate cyls: 2
	# heads:        9
	sectors/track:  36
	interleave:     1

Using parameters for the CDC Wren IV 94171-344 from the file
/etc/format.dat supplied with the 4.0 distribution, namely:

	data cylinders: 1543 (6 less than 1549 physical cyls)
	alternate cyls: 2
	# heads:        9
	sectors/track:  46
	interleave:     1

the format bombs out with an Illegal Block Address when trying to write to
cylinder 1544, sector 0, head 0 (block 18483948).

Using a data cylinder number of 1545 causes the same error but when
writing to cylinder 1546.  Using 1542 causes the same error but when
writing to cylinder 1543.  (other numbers kept the same).  Definite
pattern here.  Anybody have good numbers to use for this drive?

Also, does anyone know what the cache, asect, and trks_zone parameters in
format.dat mean?  They're not documented and only show up for this drive.

           ...sun!tulsun\
         ...uunet!apctrc!drd!mark
...rutgers!okstate!romed/           (918)743-3013