telnetd hang problem

Rob McMahon cudcv%WARWICK.AC.UK at cunyvm.cuny.edu
Thu Jan 19 18:19:47 AEST 1989

hedrick at geneva.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) writes:
>Starting this morning, on two of our Sun 4's, any attempt to telnet to the
>system resulted in a hang.  That is, telnet would say that the connection was
>open, but we wouldn't get the banner or the login: prompt.

I've seen this happen on our systems when somebody left a background
process running on one of the pty's.  If you're unlucky enough that the
next free pty is the one with the process, telnet and rlogin will both
successfully connect, but get no further.  Killing the process, or
modifying it to carefully close all files and dissociate itself from the
terminal, will cure it.  This could be why it's suddenly appeared, and is
unpredictable.

Rob
--
UUCP:   ...!mcvax!ukc!warwick!cudcv    PHONE:  +44 203 523037
JANET:  cudcv at uk.ac.warwick             ARPA:   cudcv at warwick.ac.uk
Rob McMahon, Computing Services, Warwick University, Coventry CV4 7AL, England