ftp logging

Steven Grimm koreth at ssyx.ucsc.edu
Sat Jan 28 17:35:36 AEST 1989

>Looking at these patches, I can't see how they work for anonymous ftp
>(they appear to work for regular users).  The only way I can see these
>patches working with anonymous ftp is iff the anonymous ftp directory is
>/.  The reason I make this statement is because the log file is opened
>before the chroot.  After the chroot, you can no longer access the file.

Not true.  Once a file is open, it doesn't matter where it is on the
directory tree.  The filesystem already has a dev/inode pair for the file,
and it doesn't matter WHERE in the directory tree that pair is.  As
evidence, I offer the fact that my ftp logging patches work, and have been
working for quite a while now.

[[ The chroot-ed environment only matters when a file is opened.  Once you
have an open file descriptor, any amount of chroot-ing isn't going to
affect it.  --wnl ]]