Exabyte tapes incompatible from 3.5 to 4.0?

Celeste C. Stokely coherent!celeste at ames.arc.nasa.gov
Thu Jan 12 21:48:20 AEST 1989

Like everyone else, I want to buy an Exabyte tape drive. A vendor just
told me of a hitch, though. He says that tapes written under any driver
he's found for SunOS 3.5 can NOT be read under SunOS 4.0!!!!! It has
something to do with fixed length records being written under 3.5, and
variable length records being written under 4.0.

For us, this absolutely won't do. We won't be running 4.0 for many, many
months. Is he making this up? Is there a driver for this tape drive I can
get from somewhere that will solve this problem? Is this just another bad
dream?

All help greatly appreciated.

..Celeste Stokely
Coherent Thought Inc.
UUCP:   ...!{ames,sun,uunet}!coherent!celeste  Domain: celeste at coherent.com
Internet: coherent!celeste at ames.arpa or ... at sun.com or ... at uunet.uu.net
VOX:  415-493-8805
SNAIL:3350 W. Bayshore Rd. #205, Palo Alto CA  94303