Opinions wanted on Interphase Phoenix SMD Controller

Matt Landau mlandau at diamond.bbn.com
Tue Jan 24 16:10:50 AEST 1989

Anyout out there have any experience with the Interphase V/SMD 4400 (aka
Phoenix) disk controller yet?

This is the 9U form-factor board that Interphase claims will boot SunOS 3
*or* SunOS 4 on Sun-3's and Sun-4's.  Can anyone in sun-spots land verify
that they've acutally done this, particularly with the Hitachi DK815-10's
that Sun is shipping as their gigabyte drives?

The real plan is to outfit some 3/260 servers with multiple disks;
probably one Hitachi and one old Eagle per machine, to start with.  Advice
and warnings will be read with interest :-)

I'd also be interested in opinions on Interphase's tech support and
customer service organization, and on any performance measurements
comparing the Interphase Phoenix with the Ciprico Rimfire 3220's in real
day-to-day use.

If you reply to me by mail, I'll collect responses and summarize if I
learn anything interesting.

 Matt Landau
 mlandau at bbn.com