Everex SCSI disk failure

Charles Anderson unisoft!cander at ucbvax.berkeley.edu
Thu Jan 5 16:34:00 AEST 1989

green at halifax.ee.umd.edu (Mike Green):
> Does anyone have any experience with this ?
> We have checked pin-outs and the Everex has the optional Vcc (5 volts) on
> pin 26 which appears to be a n/c on the Sun. All of our Suns have the
> later board which has pin 25 as ground. Is there some hardware
> incompatibility with the Sun or are the power supplies just not up to
> scratch ?  Any help much appreciated etc.

I never tried using an Everex, but I have interfaced other third party
drives to Sun 3's.  The product I was interfacing ran fine on a 3/50, but
produced a burning power supply smell on a 3/60.  I talked to some people
at Sun (including the manager of the SCSI products group) and they were
totally unware of any differences.  I found out by poking around with a
DVM, that pin 26 is not connected on 3/50's but is tied to ground on
3/60's.  The box I was using was putting Vcc on pin 26.  What kind of Suns
are you connecting the Everex to?  If you are using 3/60's, I really
expect an immediate failure (i.e., burnt power supply).  The way I got
around it was to remove pin 26 (with pliers and brute force) from the
cable going into the Sun.  The other possibility is that the Everex is
junk.  I've heard that said about some of their products, but I don't have
experience with them to comment on that directly.

--

Charles.
{sun, amdahl, ucbvax, pyramid, uunet}!unisoft!cander