tty console locking up on Sun-4's

Brent Chapman capmkt!brent at uunet.uu.net
Fri Jan 20 00:01:27 AEST 1989

> Have those of you who do *not* use bitmapped displays on your Sun-4's
> noticed any peciliarities regarding the console locking up?...

Under 3.X running on systems without bitmapped consoles (in other words,
with a terminal on ttya or ttyb as the console), there were bugs that
would cause the console to hang if /dev/fb, /dev/kbd, and /dev/mouse
existed.  These three devices refer to a bitmapped console, and are not
necessary on systems without a bitmapped console.  The fix to stop things
from hanging occasionally was simply to delete these three devices.  Those
same bugs might still exist under 4.0; I would try deleting the three
devices, and see if the problem goes away.

-Brent
--
Brent Chapman					Capital Market Technology, Inc.
Computer Operations Manager			1995 University Ave., Suite 390

[[ Our 3/280 is running 4.0.1 with a terminal for a console, no monitor,
and /dev/fb, /dev/kbd, and /dev/mouse all exist.  I haven't heard of any
problems with the console locking up.  --wnl ]]