cartridge tape designators

eli at chipcom.chipcom.com eli at chipcom.chipcom.com
Sat Jun 24 02:23:27 AEST 1989

what is the difference between /dev/rst0 and /dev/rst8
and likewise between           /dev/nrst0 and /dev/nrst8

there are some very 'raw' aspects to getting 3/80s running if you don't
have a tape drive that you can connect directly to them!

i'm currently trying to copy some crucial stuff from the 4.0.3 boot tape
so i can boot our new 3/80 machines over ethernet.  this installation is
turning out to be a bear because we have neither a 3/80 tape drive nor the
special cable which can connect an 3/80 to a 3 row scsi connector.

i have managed to load the Sys stuff and build a kernel, but i can't
download the *^!@#&^* boot loader from the Kvm partition.  at one point, i
was able to get tar to display the contents of the Kvm tarfile.  but i
can't read the files!  aaaaaaagh.

-- eli at spdcc.com, eli at chipcom.com   [mail to chipcom.chipcom.com bounces!]
-- voice mail: 617 859 1389
-- work phone: 617 890 6844