575Mb fuji eagle and 982Mb hitachi on one XY451?

George Young young at ll-vlsi.arpa
Fri Jun 9 23:32:53 AEST 1989

We are about to order one of the newly sun-supported hitachi 982Mb(?) SMD
disk drives.  Does anyone have experience with running one of these next
to a fujitsu super-eagle (575Mb) drive on the same xy451 controller?  Or a
super-eagle with any other type drive, for that matter.  This will be in
our sun-3/180 server, running SunOS 3.5.  Sun "doesn't recommend" mixing
the hitachi with others, but as far as I can discern, its only so they can
sell us a new controller that we don't need.

I hate to buy another xy451 controller when sun will be supporting some
as-yet-unidentified fast vme-based controller later this year.  (we are
committed to hardware supported by sun service).

On another topic, I've heard a rumor (from an OEM vendor) that the 8mm
video tape (exabyte, and some other brand) drives now being sold as backup
media may give way early next year to a cheaper 4mm format.  Anyone know
about this?

George Young,  Rm. B-141		young at ll-vlsi.arpa
MIT Lincoln Laboratory			young at vlsi.ll.mit.edu
244 Wood St.
Lexington, Massachusetts 02173		(617) 981-2756