how to KILL <exiting> process

Caveh Jalali enme1!caveh at uunet.uu.net
Thu Mar 9 02:45:46 AEST 1989

In article <8902160057.AA07420 at wubios.WUstl.EDU> david at wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) writes:
>...Frequently when a modem login session terminates by an
>unclean method, the modem is no longer available for login....
>There is a process left that owns the modem, which
>says <exiting> as the command.  This process cannot be killed by the super
>user.  To solve this we have been rebooting.  Is there a better solution?

Since no one has proposed a better solution than to reboot the system,
I'll offer my $0.02's worth.

Good news:  There is a "nice" way to kill such processes!

As root do: "trace -p <PID>", where <PID> is the hung process.  Then, hit
^C to detach the trace.

PROCESS DEAD!!!

We are running SunOS 4.0.1 on 3/280's.

	-cj