Daemons stuck in 'D' "short-term" wait state

Jeff Stearns jeff at tc.fluke.com
Sat Mar 4 15:01:45 AEST 1989

mcvax!independent!dwight at uunet.uu.net (Dwight Ernest) writes:
>> ... a process which is stuck, reported by ps as in `D' "short term" wait,
>> and has been for two days.  ... Last time it happended, earlier in the week,
>> all the nfsd's got stuck in this state, and the clients froze.
>
>Same thing happened to us once, yesterday, (for the first time) while
>running tops2d, the TOPS version 2 Sun daemon....
>Do we have a generic problem?

On my "generic" 3/60, I've wedged a variety of processes from cp(1) on up.
(Around here, FrameMaker seems to do it a lot.)  The stuck-in-D-wait bug
is much more prominent under SunOS 4.0.  And it isn't limited to
"daemons".

    Jeff Stearns        John Fluke Mfg. Co, Inc.               (206) 356-5064
    jeff at tc.fluke.COM   {uw-beaver,microsoft,sun}!fluke!jeff

PS - Calling all users of the Vitalink TransLAN IV Ethernet bridge! Please
     drop me a line.