Preen and SunOS 4.0

Rick Ace pixar!rta at ucbvax.berkeley.edu
Wed Mar 1 17:50:08 AEST 1989

dpk at morgan.com (Douglas P. Kingston) writes:
> I have noticed that occasionally preen when run under SunOS 4.0 will exit
> in such a way that it causes a reboot and re-check when it is not
> necessary.  I am using a version of preen which uses Sun's new fstab
> reading routines.

I've also seen this behavior.  In the case where fsck detects repairable
errors and repairs them successfully, it *should* exit with the same code
as it uses when the filesystem is perfectly clean to start with.
Unfortunately, SunOS 4.0 fsck does not.

I reported this problem to Sun last November.  Their reply did not
adequately address the problem I had described.  I sent back a second
message explaining that they missed the point, but they never wrote back.
Service # 242409 if you're interested.

Rick Ace
Pixar
3240 Kerner Blvd, San Rafael CA 94901