Sun 3 console question

Guy Harris auspex!guy at uunet.uu.net
Thu Mar 16 02:25:01 AEST 1989

>One, some as-yet-undetermined programs can open /dev/kbd or /dev/mouse or
>both, causing the console serial port to get set to 1200 bps, odd parity,
>"keyboard" line discipline (!) as indicated by stty >/dev/console and
>pstat -t.  To fix, try "stty new 9600 >/dev/console; reset >&
>/dev/console".  To prevent, remove or rename /dev/kbd and /dev/mouse.

Or, even better, remove the keyboard and mouse support from your kernel,
as stated elsewhere.  If your machine has neither a Sun keyboard nor a
mouse attached to it, the keyboard and mouse support is just taking
wired-down memory that might, if a page or more is freed from the kernel's
grasp, be usable for other things, such as pages from files.  If you have
a machine with no frame buffer, Sun keyboard, nor mouse, get rid of the
following (these are lines from the GENERIC configuration file):

	pseudo-device	win128		# window devices, allow 128 windows
	pseudo-device	dtop4		# desktops (screens), allow 4
	pseudo-device	ms3		# mouse support, allow 3 mice
	pseudo-device	kb3		# keyboard support, allow 3 keyboards

And yes, there is a fair bit of code this frees up; the code that, under
SunView, causes the cursor to track the mouse is in the kernel, and thus
requires some "pixrect" code in the kernel.  Also included is code to do
"event distribution" of keyboard/mouse input to SunView windows.  If
you're running X11, you may be able to get rid of

	pseudo-device	win128		# window devices, allow 128 windows
	pseudo-device	dtop4		# desktops (screens), allow 4

since cursor tracking and event distribution is done in the X server,
which, as I remember, opens and reads directly from "/dev/kbd" and
"/dev/mouse" (which means you will have to keep

	pseudo-device	ms3		# mouse support, allow 3 mice
	pseudo-device	kb3		# keyboard support, allow 3 keyboards

around, although you can save a small amount of space by reducing the
"3"s to "1"s).