Whois Server?

Frank G. Fiamingo frank at hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu
Fri Mar 31 17:30:04 AEST 1989

We would like to setup a campus-wide "whois" server.  We need a package
that would allow a user from any machine on the network to locate another
individual who is registered in the whois database.  This database would
act as a phone directory, giving information such as office hours, phone
numbers, and email addresses.  We have a Sun 3/280 running SunOS4.0.1 to
put this package on.  Does anyone know of the existence of any "whois"
packages, either proprietary or public domain?

Any help you can give us would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank Fiamingo
frank at hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu