using serial port on a 386i

Steve M. Croft pacbell!sactoh0!smcroft at ames.arc.nasa.gov
Thu Mar 2 07:24:17 AEST 1989

elmgate!dcl at kodak.com (Diana LeBreux RIPSYS) writes:
> I would like to know if anyone has tried to connect the 386i with another
> machine(sun3/280) by using the serial port, and DOS on the 386i.  I have
> tried this using kermit on the sun3 and kermit in dos on the 386i.
>       ...            In the snap administration manual it does say that
> this is the one device that sunos and dos cannot share.  But to disable
> the serial port under sunos and the device should work under dos....

You can remove ports using SNAP, but I'd recommend against it as it could
mess up the permissions on the device.  If you have tried to remove it
with SNAP, check to see if the permissions are still "rw".  If not, then
set those permissions and reboot (this was the work-around given to me by
Sun - there may be a better way).  I've seen many of these little probs
with SNAP, so I think I'll wait 'til the next release to use it...

There is a discussion on installation and removal of ports in the Adavnced
Adminstration section of the manual, as well as the 4.0.1 Release Notes.

steve
--
                steve "whadda guy" croft
...!pacbell!sactoh0!smcroft  ||  ...csusac!athena!crofts