Dvorak keyboard software on a Sun

Guy Harris auspex!guy at uunet.uu.net
Thu Mar 23 19:42:51 AEST 1989

>Perhaps in 4.1, you will be able to set Input/Keymap_Directory
>to ~/keymaps, and by running input_from_defaults, have a Dvorak keyboard
>on any machine you use.

I don't expect so, but I may be surprised.

However, I *do* expect you'll be able to use a new utility supplied with
4.1 to download the keyboard translation table so as to make it a Dvorak
keyboard (both in SunView and when talking to the "raw" console).  Of
course, with X11 and NeWS you'll have to use some other mechanism - e.g.,
changing the X11 server's keycode-to-keysym map so that it pretends you
have a Dvorak-labelled keyboard - since both X11 and NeWS servers (and,
probably, the X11/NeWS server when it comes out) run the keyboard in
untranslated mode, so that events read from "/dev/kbd" have keystation
codes, not ASCII or ISO 8859 characters, as event codes.