problems with Sunlink MCP Board

Arch Mott boulder!fesk!arch at handies.ucar.edu
Tue Mar 14 15:51:28 AEST 1989

Hello Sun World.....

I am using a Sunlink MCP (multiprotocol comm. processor) in a Sun 3/160 to
run Sun's Sunlink bscrje software. In the past, I had used ports 2 & 3
(RS-232 ports) for 2 different RJE links with a fair amount of success
(i.e.  it worked, and seemed to offload some processing from the cpu).
Today, I moved one of the RJE lines from port 2 to port 0 (RS-449) using
an adapter I got from the black box catalog (The cable is RS-232) in order
to put a line-printer on port 2. The printer works, the RJE line on port 3
still works but when I start the bscrje process on port 0, I see so much
more activity on my cpu that I won- der if I haven't done something wrong.
When I was running just the two bscrje processes on ports 2&3, I saw
virtually no cpu load. Also, the number of inter- rupts processed shoots
through the roof as soon as I start the bscrje on port 0.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems? Does anyone have any sug-
gestions as to what I or Sun may have done wrong? I placed a service call,
but figured while I wait a week or so for Sun to return my call I'd post
to the net and see what happened.

Thanks for everything,

	Arch Mott
	Solar Energy Research Institute