Restoring disk manufacturer's media defect lists?

David R. Kaelbling igor!drk at uunet.uu.net
Tue Mar 7 23:03:06 AEST 1989

Due to circumstances I won't go into, I botched re-formatting some of our
disks (SMD Fujitsu 2344 and 2361's) and erased the manufacturer's media
defect list.  I still have the paper copies, and would like to somehow
tell diag about these bad spots.  (A weekend's formatting only turned up 8
bad sectors when Fujitsu found 42, and I was unable to construct a
reasonable mapping between the two).

Does any know how I can translate the (cylinder, head, pos, length)
information into something more directly useful (e.g. block numbers)?  I
find elusive hints in various places that diag's sformat may help, but I
can't find any documentation which actually describes this command.

The machine involved is a 3/260 running SunOS 3.5, with an xy451
controller.  Both disks are set for 600 bytes/sector.  Any help, including
RTFM with an explicit M, would be appreciated.

	Thanks.

David Kaelbling                                       (408) 496-3600
c/o Rational; 3320 Scott Boulevard; Santa Clara, CA       95054-3197
drk at Rational.COM, drk at igor.uu.net, ...!{uunet,ubvax,amdcad}!igor!drk