MIDI and Unix

Steve Tynor tynor%pyr at gatech.edu
Tue Mar 14 08:47:44 AEST 1989

kek1135 at uxf.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>I too have been interested in porting MIDI software to Unix

I just bought a Sun 386i for home use.  I too am planning on using it for
MIDI.  Fortunately, the 386i has a PC/AT bus so I should be able to
install an MPU-401 (or clone) and write a Unix device driver for it. I
haven't actually _tried_ this yet (I've never written a device driver for
Unix and I hear that it can be a nightmare...)

I'm well on my way to having a graphic score editor built on SunView, but
I have not yet addressed the MIDI device/real time issues.

So... Are there any other 386i/MIDI users (or potential users) out there?
Has anyone from MIT (CSOUND) or CMU (the MIDI Toolkit) played with the Sun
386i?

    Steve Tynor
    Georgia Tech Research Institute
    tynor at gitpyr.gatech.edu