csh does not like 8-bit chars, bourne does

Marcel Bernards ecn!marcel at nluug.nl
Thu Mar 23 06:55:13 AEST 1989

Hi there SUN users,

I disovered a strange thing according to file names and wildcards.

somehow I created a file name "\016\317M " ('SO' 'EIGTBIT-O' 'M' 'space')
( I used : 'ls | od -a' )
How ?? I can't find out why!! some cursor messing on mu sun probably..
However, When I tried to remove it with rm ??M? I got:

zappa{marcel}397: rm ??M?
rm: OM : No such file or directory

find does also curious things:

zappa{marcel}403: find . -name ??M? -ok rm {} ; -prune
find: incomplete statement
-prune: Command not found.

switching to the bourne shell seemed more successful in both cases !!

what going on, am I missing something ?? is the csh too smart for
wildcards ??  Or doesn't it like 8-bit chars or ^E's or spaces in the
filename ??

Any suggestions ??

Greetings:
Marcel Bernards, UNIX & Net sysadm Netherlands Energy Research Foundation ECN
P.O. Box 1, 1755 ZG Petten, PHONE: 09 312246 4342 EARN/BITNET:ESU0130 at HPEENR51
IP: marcel%ecn.uucp at nluug.nl UUCP: marcel at ecn.uucp,marcel%ecn.uucp at uunet.uu.net
SCREAMNet : AAAAAARGHH!HUH?? : Disclaimer: "The AntiChrist is the Computer !"

[[ The c-shell uses the eighth bit internally for its own devious
purposes.  The Bourne shell is more co-operative.  Since SunOS is now
supposed to be supporting the extended ASCII character set, this is
something that should be fixed.  Unfortunately, it might be rather hard.
Your find command had problems partly because it depended on c-shell file
name expansion (the same reason "rm" didn't work) and partly because you
should have put a backslash in front of the ";".  You could try to do it
with "rm -ri", but that might take too long.  --wnl ]]