dni lockup on SUN 386i's

Super User mcvax!miclon!roddy at uunet.uu.net
Tue Mar 7 17:40:19 AEST 1989

We are experiencing problems using dni on our 4.0.1 386i's. Occasionally,
when using dnilogin to a VAX (microvax or 8800) the SUN will lock up
completely, no mouse movement etc. It needs to be <L1>A 'd and rebooted as
there is no escape.

Once a session is up & running, there is never a problem. If the machine
is going to lock up, it always does so *before* printing the VAX login
banner and prompt. We also had this problem with the beta dni/386i and on
4.0.0 machines. We notified SUN, but no explanation has been forthcoming,
and there are now problems on a customer site....we can't wait any longer!

Has anyone seen this problem before? know what it is, or have a
workaround?  As it is, we have nothing - no idea what it is, or how to
stop it, so any ideas welcome. We reported the problem to sun first about
4-5 months ago, but they have always been unable to reproduce it, so there
is no fix forthcoming.

Thanks in advance,

Roddy Manzie, Micrognosis International, London.

roddy at uk.co.mic.lon
roddy at miclon.uucp
...uunet!mcvax!ukc!pyrltd!miclon!roddy