bootparams problems?

Eric Ho eho at reason.princeton.edu
Fri Mar 31 07:44:51 AEST 1989

Has anyone experienced any bootparams problems when booting up Sun-3 or
Sun-4 diskless nodes under 4.0 or 4.0.1 ?

What I soon have is a 4/280.  It is to be configured as a homogeneous
server serving a bunch of Sun-4 diskless/dataless nodes and it'll be a YP
slave server.  On the same net, I've a 3/180 as a homogeneous server
serving a bunch of Sun-3 diskless/dataless nodes and it'll be a YP master
server.  I plan only 2 YP servers on the net at the moment (but I may add
more YP servers later using some of my Sun-4 dataless nodes).  And when
the equipments arrive I plan to use SunOS 4.0.1 on all (Sun-4's and
Sun-3's) of the machines on the net.

Now, when I read over boot(8) under 4.0, I noted that there are more stuff
there regarding booting Sun-[34] diskless than that found in the 3.X man
pages -- notably the bootparams et al stuff.  Also, I read from news &
sun-spots lately about booting problems/ethernet storms, ..etc.. related
to 4.0.  My question now is that has anyone encounter problems if the
setup that I described above especially related to booting diskless nodes
(be they Sun-3's or Sun-4's) ?

Any pointers will be much appreciated.

Eric Ho
Princeton Cognitive Science Lab.,	Princeton University
email = eho at phoenix.princeton.edu	voice = 609-987-2987

--

regards.

-eric-