ypbind & NFS mount problems

Eric Ho eho at reason.princeton.edu
Fri Mar 10 06:11:46 AEST 1989

Does anyone has problems in using a 4.0 ypbind with a 3.3 ypserv ?

I've a Sun-4 under 4.0 configured as a standalone and using YP (as a YP
client).  My machine is physically hooked to a net of Sun-3's -- the
server (homogeneous) being a 3/180 under 3.3 (hence a 3.3 ypserv).

On the surface, my 4.0 ypbind seems to work ok -- ypwhich was fine and so
as ping, rusers, rcp, ..etc.. and I can telnet/ftp to other machines
outside the immediate local net -- i.e. able to go to other depts'
machines, ..etc..

However, when I do NFS mount, it just hang there (i.e. I type in mount by
hand and it just hang there without even giving any error messages back --
i.e. no prompt back).  The 3/180 server seems to be picking up the packets
(I can see it in etherfind) but somehow it is not responding.

If I kill my 4.0 ypbind on my Sun-4 and add the 3/180 server's internet
address into the /etc/hosts file on my Sun-4 then I can do NFS mounts from
my Sun-4 without a hitch (basically, I want to do NFS mount from my Sun-4
because all my home directory stuff is on the 3/180 server).

I just got my Sun-4 recently (about 10 months ago) -- it was running
SYS4-3.2 (also as a standalone & YP client) and was working fine before --
I only moved to 4.0 this week.

The 3.3 ypserv on the 3/180 is working fine with other Sun-3 YP clients (a
mix of 50's, 75's and a 280).  The 3/180 server & other Sun-3's were here
for more than 3 years so I don't think that it is a problem with the
Sun-3's (there is only one YP server on the net and it is on the 3/180 --
i.e. the rest of the net are YP clients).

Does anyone encountered similiar problems before ?

Any pointers will be much appreciated.

regards.

-eric-