X crashing at irregular occasions on SUN 3's

John C Schultz schultz at mmm.serc.mmm.com
Tue Mar 14 07:26:59 AEST 1989

We have been suffering an intermmitent problem with diskless SUN 3's
crashing after coming out of xlock under X11R2 (SunOS 3.5).

The symptoms are that after xlock ends, the system will behave nicely for
an arbitrary length of time up to perhaps 20 minutes.  If you have
survived 20 minutes, the Sun will run indefinitely.  However, occasionally
the display will go black and no keyboard or mouse entry is allowed.  Even
L1-A does nothing.  Powering off and back on is the only cure.

This happens on both 3/60M and 3/60C workstations and the problem seems to
come and go. For example about 2 weeks ago, almost every time I came out
of xlock, I had to reboot. Lately, I never crash coming out of xlock.

Although we now use X11R2, I seem to recall that the 3/60s occasionally
exhibited this same behaviour under Sunwindows although we have not used
it for about a year and my memory is vague.

Perhaps someone can offer words of wisdom or at least commiserate so we
don't feel so lonely.

Thanks.--
 john c. schultz   schultz at 3M.Com   ..!uiucuxc!mmm!schultz  (612) 733-4047
           3M Center, Bldg 518-1-1, St. Paul, MN 55144-1000