Wanted: Screen Saver and comments on Wrens

Dave Shaver shaver at atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu
Thu Mar 9 12:01:28 AEST 1989

We're looking for a screen saver.  I have copies of at least two which
work in conjunction with getty.  (That is, when there is no user on the
console the screen is blanked.)

Our application requires that the screen be blanked even if a user is
logged into the console.  Many users here have machines in their offices
and leave themselves logged in for days at a time, yet are too lazy to run
any type of console locking program (e.g. the default "life", which serves
as a screen saver).

I've heard of a program (the name escapes me right now) that runs as a
daemon process watching the mouse and keyboard.  It blanks the screen
after n minutes of inactivity regardless of if anyone is logged into the
system.

[[ What's wrong with "/bin/screenblank"?  Look at the manual page in
section 1.  I believe that it is distributed with 3.x systems as well.  We
have set up every client's rc.local file to start one running in the
background at boot time.  --wnl ]]

On an unrelated topic, has anyone been successful in formatting the new
CDC Wren VI drives?  Comments (good or bad) on the VIs as well as the
older Vs are requested.

 Dave Shaver  -=*=-  CS Systems Support Group, Iowa State University
 UUCP:  {hplabs!hp-lsd, uunet!umix!sharkey}!atanasoff!shaver
 Internet: shaver at atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu