Imagen printers and 4.0

William LeFebvre phil at Rice.edu
Wed Mar 1 19:51:08 AEST 1989

Well, I didn't mean to start a panic.  I hastily wrote a note that
mentioned a "serious bug" I had found in the Imagen Unix support software.
But I neglected to mention that this bug is only present in the TCP
communicatoins portion of the software, thus it only effects those who use
the Ethernet support.  By the way, this is in release 2.3, dated July
1986.

The bug results from a misuse of the select call.  Surprisingly enough, it
is not due to a compatability problem.  It is because they forgot to zero
out the fd bitmask before using it.  For various reason, this rarely caused
problems under 3.x.  But under 4.0, it makes "ies" infinite loop rather
frequently.

Unfortunately, there's also a problem in r_mkdir.c (in release 2.3) that
makes it practically impossible to install the software under 4.0.  If
anyone is interested, send me mail and I'll send the fixes to you.

	William LeFebvre
	<phil at Rice.edu>