do Exabyte tapes reliably exchange between drives

Wolfgang Wetz mcvax!cgch!wwtz at uunet.uu.net
Thu Mar 2 05:02:59 AEST 1989

In article <8902032156.AA03369 at loihi.hig.hawaii.edu> you write:
>Assuming same vendor, same SunOS version, can I take a tape written on one
>Exabyte drive and read it on another reliably?

Your question is justified:

We have experienced a problem with two EXABYTE units from Delta
Microsystems which is now under investigation at Delta Microsystems.

Having two exabyte units from Deltamicro, two Sun 3/280 under SunOS 3.4 a
tape produced on one machine could not be read back on that same machine
but happily on the other one. We chased it down to the SCSI controler
board. On the machine where we could read the cartdrige we had an old "SI"
type SCSI adapter where on the 'unreadable' machine we have (the newer)
"SD" type SCSI adapter.

That's the story until now. If you are interested in the rest of it,
please let me know, and I'll send the results as soon as I have them.

best regards
--
Wolfgang Wetz, Systems Administrator, Scientific Computing Centre
   c/o CIBA-GEIGY AG, R-1045.330, CH-4002 Basel, Switzerland