Kernel Building and cmdtool?

Louis Brune x403 suntan!tots!asimov!louis at sun.com
Thu Mar 9 01:25:02 AEST 1989

We have a couple of dual swap machines.  Be brave (after making backups)
and try:

In the config file:

config          vmunix          root on rf0 swap on rf0 and rf1

(Fix the rf to be whatever you really use.)

In /etc/fstab:

/dev/rf1b 0 swap swap 0 0

The zeroes, I'm told, are irrelevant.  Experience says they don't hurt
anything. (Once again, you probably don't have rf.)

In /etc/rc:

/usr/etc/swapon -a

We have this immediately after the invocation of rc.local.  I suppose one
might also put it in rc.local.

That ought to do it.  Now rebuild the kernel according to standard
procedures, do the cp of vmunix, and use pstat -s to verify your success.
The number you're looking for is the sum of used and free.  If you did
this before you started, comparing them will provide a bit of a morale
boost.  Also, swapping on two drives seems to make the thing work better.