restarting processes from cores

Loki Jorgenson Rm421 loki at physicsa.mcgill.ca
Thu Mar 2 12:07:42 AEST 1989

Okay, interpid readers.... have we tried this one?

Can a process be deliberately halted and a core dumped (kill -3 PID for
instance) such that it can be later restarted ?  We run lengthy
simulations here which I would like to be able to stop, reboot the machine
and then restart.  Is there a way besides building it into the program
itself?

Along the same lines, I would like to stop a process running on a 3/50 and
restart it on a different 3/50 or a 3/180 (running v3.5).

Loki Jorgenson			node:  loki at physicsa.mcgill.ca
Physics, McGill University	fax:   (514) 398-3733
Montreal Quebec CANADA		phone: (514) 398-6531

[[ In fact, we have discussed this one.  But it's been awhile.  See volume
6 issue 68.  It mentions a library called "chkpt" by Dave Curry, but he
implies that it only works on 4.3BSD VAXen.  It's an interesting problem.
I don't think it can be solved without some co-operation from the program.
That co-operation could be as simple as linking against an extra library
which "shadows" certain system calls.  --wnl ]]