Network Licensing - Floating License Servers

Scott Holt scott%capone at gatech.edu
Thu Mar 30 13:34:00 AEST 1989

Several months ago we began using FrameMaker publishing software on our
Suns on campus. One of the primary considerations for obtaining Frame over
InterLeaf was its support of a networked floating license server. The
floating license server approach allows us to provide software to a large
number of machines while keeping the cost at a reasonable level...buying
enough single copies of Frame to service all our possible users would have
been too expensive.

As part of my job is software evaluation, I would like to hear about any
other packages which implement a networked licensing scheme similar to
Frame's. I am especially interested in those products which work in a
heterogeneous environment as that is what we are growing here.

If you are an applications software vendor whose product uses a license
server approach to network licensing, I would appreciate hearing from you.
Also, if anyone in net land knows of papers on the topic of Network
Licensing, I would appreciate hearing about them. I understand that Apollo
has done a bit of work in this area.

Thanks in advance...

Scott Holt, Systems Analyst		Internet: scott at prism.gatech.edu
Georgia Tech				BITNET:	  CCUSESH at GITNVE2
Office of Computing Services
Atlanta, Ga 30332-0275