Help with xmodem over Ethernet Terminal Server/SunOS 4.0

Steve Grandi grandi at noao.edu
Thu Mar 16 02:04:51 AEST 1989

> Problem:  Xmodem transfer attempts fail on any file that requires more
> than 12 blocks (of any size, on this case either 128 bytes or 1024 bytes).
> Does fine until block 13, which results in transmission errors reported at
> the micro.  Happens for both IBMish PC and Macintosh.

Sounds like the terminal server is doing something "magic" when it sees a
Ctrl-M character (decimal 13).  Xmodem encodes a sequential block number
in the data block, so it requires a TOTALLY transparent 8-bit path.  See
if you can tell the terminal server to give you a totally transparent
connection.

I have the exact problem with a CMC Transerver telnet server (also resold
to the Sun market by Artecon); Ctrl-E is the "escape" character to talk to
the box, hence all Xmodem transfers fail on the fifth block.  As far as I
can tell, one can configure the escape character on the CMC box to be
anything one likes, but can't turn it off completely.   Hence, Xmodem
transfers are impossible.

Steve
(author of a dandy -- if I do say so myself -- version of Xmodem running on
4.3BSD and SunOS systems)

Steve Grandi, National Optical Astronomy Observatories, Tucson AZ, 602-325-9228
UUCP: {arizona,decvax,ncar}!noao!grandi  or  uunet!noao.edu!grandi
Internet: grandi at noao.edu             SPAN/HEPNET: 5355::GRANDI or NOAO::GRANDI