Sun 3 console question

Viktor Dukhovni viktor at cucumber.princeton.edu
Mon Mar 6 08:31:04 AEST 1989

casey at lll-crg.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) writes:
>We use standard ascii terminals as the consoles of all our file servers.
>After the systems have been up for a while, the terminals lock up and we
>haven't figured out how to break them out of that mode.  This happens
>reliably on two 3/180s and a 3/280 running SUN OS 3.4, and two 3/280s
>running SUN OS 3.5 on a whole variety of terminals.

Are any of your users using programs like "setkeys" or "caps" (or anything
else that uses ioctl() on "/dev/kbd")?  Just a keyboard type inquiry is
sufficient to hang the ascii terminal on our keyboardless server.  I
removed "/dev/kbd"  and even commented out "device kbd3" from the kernel
config file (as well as the dtop,  and zs1).  The servers kernel is much
smaller,  and no more hung ascii consoles.

	Hope this helps.

---Viktor Dukhovni <viktor%fine at princeton.edu>