incorrect yp files-- anybody else?

pomeranz at cs.swarthmore.edu pomeranz at cs.swarthmore.edu
Fri Mar 31 08:25:12 AEST 1989

We seem to be having problems and I wonder if anybody else has ever
encountered this.  When remaking several map files (particularly if doing
a "ypinit -m") the database files will become corrupted.  Either the will
be missing certain pieces of information, or the information will be
incorrect.  Typically, remaking each of the corrupted files individually
will fix the problem, though sometimes it make take a couple of tries.

Our yp-server is a 3/160 and we're running OS 4.0.1.  The problems occur
most frequently in our hosts and passwd databases which are 16K and 30K in
size, respectively (is this too large? is there some hidden size limit?).
Also, our server only has 4Meg of memory (I get weird looks from people
all the time, so don't start), though I doubt this is a factor.  Does
anybody have a clue?

Hal Pomeranz
System Administrator
pomeranz at cs.swarthmore.edu